Magma - Üdü Ẁüdü CD (album) cover

ÜDÜ ẀÜDÜ

Magma

Zeuhl

OpethGuitarist
4 stars It took me a while, but I finally "got" this album.

Another excellent Magma release as the band charts unexplored waters of music. This one is jazzier and includes maybe the best background work of the band, as the non-lead instruments do a fine job. There is less vocal work here, which I feel as good, as the operatic vocals of MDK got a little too carried away at times. Instead more attention is focused on the band dynamics, which makes for many interesting moments throughout the album.

Free-improv style is the name of the game here, as the musicians are allowed to stretch out beyond the confines of song and structure, especially the grooving bass work on De Futura. I highly enjoy the two Ghost Dance sections. This album is a bit more psych/space influenced. This album essentially has to be looked at in a different manner from MDK, because of it's vast difference. Both are excellent and I wouldn't part with either one. Udu Wudu lacks the epic appeal of MDK, but this album is by no means inferior, and musicians of all kinds will enjoy the amazing instrumental work found. A wonderful release, spend the effort to pick this one up.

OpethGuitarist | 4/5 |