Anathema - Alternative 4 CD (album) cover

Experimental/Post Metal

4 stars 4.5 stars. This is my second album from Anathema, and it certainly is no disappointment. Alternative 4 was Anathema's first album where they really started to move away from metal, although they still retained some metal elements on this album. It started a line of currently four excellent releases in a row.

Alternative 4 is a rather dark album when compared to their more recent material (at this point in time, I have yet to hear their albums before Eternity so I can't speak for them). There isn't a weak point on the entire album, and there are many highlight. Before I got this album, the first song I heard was "Fragile Dreams", and it still remains one of my favorites on the album. "Re-Connect" is another great song, my favorite part being when Vincent starts yelling. The title song is a very eerie and creepy sounding song, but it sounds so good. The next two songs, "Regret" and "Feel" might be my two favorites on the album. I love the guitar in background in "Feel". Like the other albums of Anathema I have, this one also has a lot of emotion infused with the music.

Alternative 4 is a fantastic album, I highly recommend it to anyone who likes music with emotion and a dark edge!

darkmatter | 4/5 |