The Gift - Awake And Dreaming CD (album) cover

The Gift

3 stars Firstly, I'd like to give credit to James, who wrote the band's Bio. He is spot on and leaves me to provide an opinion/preference, only.

This band is like a kaleidoscope of numerous influences, many of whom are considered as Prog giants. The only problem is that THE GIFT appears to be focused on elements of their peers' works that represent the least exciting bits. Like a sandwich with no meat in the middle.

Make no mistake, they are quite capable musicians - except that their work here fails to excite me. Indeed bordering on what puts people off Neo-Prog which it essentially is. Boring to the point of irritating, this is not something I'd put on returning home at the end of the day - rather the opposite.

Judging by the high ratings this work has appeal to many. Well, I am not one of them, but in fairness I am prepared to rate it as a 3, a piece I will probably disregard as somewhat irrelevant to be part of my rather extensive collection of more pleasing works.

Anon-E-Mouse | 3/5 |