Panzerballett - Panzerballett CD (album) cover

PANZERBALLETT

Panzerballett

Chus
5 stars Ladies and Gentlemen; metal jazz-fusion couldn't be any better than this.

This album is sure to please fans of metal and jazz alike. Crunching power chords a la Meshuggah in the same piece of music featuring lush passages of jazz harmonics, modes and feel. I get up my chair whenever the band shifts styles, from thrash metal to modern jazz fusion and funk jazz; it's a very tasteful contrast of musical interests without sacrificing musicianship.

I believe the one that stands the most in this record is Gregor Bürger's great sax dynamics (perhaps not the best tone compared to monsters like Joe Henderson or Michael Brecker, but still some great improvs.), whilst the rest of the band is not far behind, including Flo Schmidt on bass providing an irresistible groove along with Max Bucher on drums, who appears to be another Cobham-influenced drummer. Jan Zehrfeld is the undisputable creative force and leader of the band, and a guitar player whose influence is undeniably a mix of Holdsworth and Mike Stern; however, his guitar playing was a bit conservative, and I wouldn't go as far as to say that he shares the talent and dynamics of people like Fareed Haque or Frank Gambale; nonetheless it's effective as we take a listen to the final product, which was a total archievement in fusion music.

5 stars; no less than that.

Chus | 5/5 |