Steve Hackett - Darktown CD (album) cover

DARKTOWN

Steve Hackett

Leonardo
4 stars In my opinion this was a very significant album in Steve's career.

Whilst Steve has always been consistently first rate when he produces his "classical" works, his rock studio albums after "Defector" were mediocre to "ok" at best. This prog rock album however marked a return to form, and can compare to the best of his early days. This album is a good place for people new to Steve's work to see what he is capable of.

Right from the Funk/metal opening of "omega metallicus" (check out the superb bass work), this album is full of solidly well composed tracks, shifting tempos and styles as we move from track to track (as is Steve's wont). The jewel in the crown for me is the giant "Twice around the Sun" - a guitar epic illustrating that "less is more"; having a majesty and power that I have not heard since Pink Floyd' s "Shine on You Crazy Diamond".

Hints of jazz, fusion, classical, pop and good old rock, it's all here - but most importantly it is all been crafted into a high quality package.

At the time this was also Steve's most eclectic album - he has of course continued in this vein, and I for one, am very pleased he has done so.

Leonardo | 4/5 |