Purson - Rocking Horse CD (album) cover

ROCKING HORSE

Purson

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
4 stars My first encounter with Purson was somewhere around early 2013 when I started hearing Spiderwood Farm being played at a few rock clubs. The song really had a dreamy retro ring to it while still sounding surprisingly fresh and exciting for the modern audience. I didn't take long for me to discover the rest of the Rocking Horse EP, since it (at the time) was the only available release from the band.

The EP features four pretty versatile compositions which makes for an excellent introduction album for anyone who wants to discover Purson without going head first by starting with their debut album The Circle & the Blue Door. The title track, Rocking Horse, begins very gently but it doesn't take long for the composition to get in a more rock-oriented state of mind. Two And Ones is a slightly heavier composition dominated by the organ sound, something that would make bands like Deep Purple and Black Sabbath really proud of their legacy. Wool opens up like a suite until the heavy sound of the electric guitar takes over and dominates the rest of the composition.

Spiderwood Farm might be the shortest track on this EP but it certainly is its brightest spot! This is the moment when Purson finally steps out of the shadow of their predecessors and makes the psychedelic rock sound of the '70s their own. The composition might not be a complex one but I really find it impressive to hear the way this band moves between the different sections while maintaining the overall sound and melody of the composition in place. This is easily my favorite track of 2013!

I highly recommend this EP to fans of '70s music, especially fans of psychedelic rock. Hopefully you'll be equally impressed by this English quintet.

***** star songs: Spiderwood Farm (3:30)

**** star songs: Rocking Horse (4:25) Two And Ones (4:35) Wool (4:55)

Rune2000 | 4/5 |