Dream Theater - Train Of Thought CD (album) cover

TRAIN OF THOUGHT

Dream Theater

Prog Leviathan
2 stars Dream Theater teeters off the tracks...

Following up two gigantic successes with a noisy, monotonous mess of headache inducing metal is certainly an odd risk, but I suppose the we need albums like this to remind us how good their other ones are.

The problem with "Train of Thought" as I see it, is the apparent absence of Ruddess, the muddying of Myung's dexterous bass, and Petrucci playing the same, overly heavy solo... again and again and again. The band experiments with sounds that are, well, almost beneath them, and the result is a long, loud, uninteresting collection of songs that tests one's patience more than anything.

One for fans to take out when feeling especially angry.

Songwriting: 2 Instrumental Performances: 3 Lyrics/Vocals: 2 Style/Emotion/Replay: 2

Prog Leviathan | 2/5 |