Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep CD (album) cover

Spock's Beard

3 stars Being heavy is not synonymous with being better.

I hear "Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep" quite some time, and the reality is that I enjoy some good tracks, while others are closer to Alternative Hard Rock. Not that I think that everything that has made Spock's Beard under the tutelage of Neal Morse is excellent, but I can ´t understand that this work is considered here as the second best of the great American band.

The sound is powerful and the band seems solid and assembly, I suspect some lyrical are related to Neal Morse and his conversion, ironically; eg 'Hiding Out', 'I Know Your Secret' and ´A Treasure Abandoned´. Apart from that, the most progressive and better from my perspective are: 'A Treasure Abandoned', 'Something Very Strange' and 'Waiting For Me'. While "Burning a Burning Road" is a very good track of bonus disc.

My rating is 3, while I consider 'X' as a more compact and inspired work. And I think 'Day For Night' is the only slightly less than this, with regard to the times of Neal Morse. And "V", "Snow" and "The Light", are far superior....

sinslice | 3/5 |