Kate Bush - The Red Shoes CD (album) cover

THE RED SHOES

Kate Bush

Finnforest
4 stars "To those we love, to those who will survive..."

The Red Shoes was something of a comeback after The Sensual World. Kate seemed to have found some new energy and passion. The sound was big and the production was ambitious. She also released a very Kate-like video to go with the album and proved again that she can still dance.

While now less "progressive" and more conventional rock, the songs within succeeded quite well. "Rubberband Girl" and "Eat the Music" were positively alive and joyful. "And So is Love" and "Moments of Pleasure" were melancholic yet lovely. I found the vocal performances on those songs to be very touching. The title track is quite good with its anxious energy. "Big Stripey Lie" is quite weird and cool with that eerie descending into the depths feel. "Constellation of the Heart" is really the only clunker on board and should have been dropped on the editing floor.

Red Shoes has improved with time in my eyes and I now consider it essential Kate. It is just as good as the art rock singles from side one of Hounds, and it slaughters albums like Aerial and Sensual World in immediacy and passion. Kate had nothing to be ashamed of here and I think many of her fans missed the boat when they wrote this off.

Finnforest | 4/5 |