Rush - 2112 CD (album) cover

2112

Rush

obiter
2 stars THis is one of those talismanic albums, a sacred cow that cannot be criticised.

Well, here goes. The songs on the second side are not up to muster. The earlier rocky numbers on Fly By Night are far better. So before going onto the great concept piece we're already half an album shy of greatness.

2112 is better than Fountain of Lamneth. The is a coherent theme that carries the listener through from the crashing pomp of the Temples of Syrinx through the delicate discovery to the triumphant finale.

Well shoudl this be revered as a great philosophical treatise ....a book about the philosphy of Rush talked about the dystopian antichrist Father Brown ... sorry the deep thoughts are beyond me. As far as I could amek it out: weird priests rule, music is banned, the hero finds a guitar, hey it's cool, he pays some chords, even cooler, the preists don't like it, he's all sad, bummer, but music sets us free and the whole fabric of the priests' state collapses. Wow.

When I first listened to this album in the 70s I thought it was great: I was 13. It's gathered a fair bit a dust since then, although every time I take it out for a re-listen it gets put away for another long rest ...

obiter | 2/5 |