The Mars Volta - Amputechture CD (album) cover

AMPUTECHTURE

The Mars Volta

PinkPangolin
4 stars A totally wild and crazy rollercoaster ride through extremes of music - this one is definitely music for those into adrenhalin sports like base-jumping etc...

For me, this was just too complicated and confusing to be better than their first 2 albums - which are both 5 star masterpieces in my mind.

Three tracks take to the extremes of this crazy ride - are you scared??? - jump right into this - it really is totally different!! The 3 are Tetragrammaton (I think the last 6 minutes of this super-length track are even too complex for me to understand (don't get me wrong - I'm a massive Mars Volta fan), Meccamputechture (for me the best on the album), and Day of the Baphomets (wild crazy and crazy and wild!). Viscera Eyes is also a superb track.

As for the other 4 tracks - they are less good and less wild, and probably not so necessary - they drag this down from 5 to 4 stars for me. Maybe it's all in the name of experimentation?

Highly recommended - where prog meets punk rock, but if you are new to the Volta, start with one of their first two albums. recommended if you want your ears cleaned out!

Remember - Ummagumma was Pink Floyd's 3rd album, and what the heck was that about?? - but 3 albums later we had Dark Side of the Moon. If rock experimentalism leads to that, then I can't wait for the Mars Volta's 6th album (in 6 years time??)

I still think Frances the Mute is by far the best of their offerings.

PinkPangolin | 4/5 |