Yes - Yes CD (album) cover

3 stars I've always liked the YES debut and thought it quite successful as first albums go. Compared to other debuts, it is not as good as Floyd's Piper masterpiece (thanks to Syd), but I think it's better or equal to debuts by Rush, Zeppelin, and Genesis.

Banks may have been no Steve Howe but he wasn't exactly a slouch either. Along with Bruford and Squire the musicianship is already pretty top notch. The songs are not quite prog yet but as pop songs they are good and not simplistic. I think the band exudes great confidence in their material here as well they should. And I think that given the time frame, they got a very good crisp sound on this release.

Harold Land and Survival are my favorites but there really isn't a lousy track anywhere, heck even the covers are nicely jazzed up and fun. That's why I recommend this first album to people, it is fun music with a nice touch of psychedelia and good playing. I don't feel the same about Time And A Word, that's an album I have never been able to get into. Strange because a lot of people sort of lump the first two together as being similar but I like the first much better.

It's no CTTE or Fragile, but it is a good start that all Yes fans should own. 3.5 stars.

Finnforest | 3/5 |