Rush - 2112 CD (album) cover

2112

Rush

Finnforest
3 stars My least favorite of the 70s Rush albums

Well, I'm afraid I'm with Teaflax and Obiter on this one. While I did enjoy the long suite when I was young it has not held up for me over time. Listening these days I must admit that I find the music to be less convincing and definitely less memorable than Caress or Farewell. I would simply point to Fly By Night or Caress as the stronger examples of young Rush, their period that ends with this album.

2112 (the song) is certainly more power-chord chugging than Fountain of Lamneth but the themes are predictable, it lacks the charm and to this listener, the sincerity of both Necromancer and Fountain. While side 2 has its moments those tracks are not as vibrant and consistent as the short songs of Caress (or even Fly By Night for that matter). While I initially rated 2112 two stars I had to come back and edit that to three to be fair. 2112 is very far from my favorite Rush but I have to acknowledge it deserves three at a minimum.

Finnforest | 3/5 |