Dream Theater - Images And Words CD (album) cover

IMAGES AND WORDS

Dream Theater

Mellotron Storm
4 stars Among the bands they thank are WATCHTOWER, Bruce Dickinson, and as they say in the liner notes "FATEZ WARNING (Jus' kiddin' !!)". They do have a sense of humour. This was such a ground breaking album, not only making this band famous, but at the same time drawing a lot of fans into the Prog genre. Personally I feel this album is far from being one of their best.Yet because of how influential it was I have to respect it. I felt the same way about "Freak Out" by Frank Zappa, and boosted it to 4 stars, because of how innovative it was.

"Pull Me Under" certainly won over a lot of Metal fans and gained them exposure on MTV. The riffs, drums and vocals are all fantastic ! Check out the blazing guitar solo 6 minutes in. "Another Day" opens with some tasteful guitar solos and they come back later.This is a ballad-like tune with lots of Kenny G like sax, and mellow vocals. Don't like it. "Take The Time" just doesn't do it for me either. Too poppy I guess. "Surrounded" starts off sounding like another ballad.Yikes ! Fortunately that changes as the song plays out. "Metropolis-Part I" features some absolutely amazing drumming from Portnoy.This song really shows off the skills of each member of the band. Great song !

"Under A Glass Moon" has some heaviness and the drums are upfront. Some scorching guitar solos as well. "Wait For Sleep" is a ballad with some beautiful piano melodies from Moore. "Learning To Live" is another incredible tune. So many changes in tempo and the riffs, synths and vocals all shine. I was reminded of RUSH when I heard the synths late in the song.

This was DREAM THEATER's second record, and their first with new vocalist James LaBrie. I enjoy the follow up works "A Change Of Seasons" and "Awake" more than this one. I still give this 4 stars because it is an excellent addition to your prog collection. Although I feel this is truly 3.5 stars for the music bumped up to 4 stars for how influential and ground breaking it was.The first song and the last four are amazing tracks.

Mellotron Storm | 4/5 |