Yes - The Yes Album CD (album) cover

THE YES ALBUM

4.28 | 1936 ratings

Marcos
5 stars Hello Symphonic rock!!!

The first great Yes' album. This band's early years (1968-1970) was promising. They were inventing the symphonic rock. And, in 1971, they gave us "The Yes Album", may be the first Symphonic rock jewel. Tony Kaye surprises me because I had a prejudice.

(1) "Yours is no disgrace": great opening. The five guys was awesome whit their instruments. Steve Howe, in his first featuring with Yes shows his skills and 'musicality'*****

(2) "The Clap": Howe in all his splendor, showing he is more than a rocker... But I don't like very much a solo track in a studio album (may be in a live album...). Then the rate is just three stars.***

(3) "Starship Trooper": another great work. In 1971, this track and the number 1, were an innovation. I wasn't born yet... but I'm sure. A nice song at the beginning. Then, a country part appears, where the vocals arrangement is awesome. From 6th minute, the best part of the track: the guitar, the keyboards... the intensity increases. So, a terrific guitar's solo 'introduces the ending'. ST is one of the firsts epics song of prog rock.*****

(4) "I've seen all good people": an emotional song. Vocals arrangement are a Yes's trademark. In this song they are awesome. I love the harmony arrangement too. It is sublime. The most rocker part, in the middle, is great too.*****

(5) "A venture": an strange but nice song. The piano in the final 'jam session' is distinguishing in this song.****

(6) "Perpetual change": another great composition. A violent theme in some moments. And, in another parts, a jazzy ballad. At about the 5th minute, there is a part revolutionary. This section is a futurist vision. And then, the song returns to the calmness. The coda is awesome too. *****

"The Yes almbum" is a masterpiece of prog-rock.

Average rate: 4.5 stars