Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet CD (album) cover

FEAR OF A BLANK PLANET

Porcupine Tree

asimplemistake
5 stars OK, I'm finally getting to reviewing this album. I've had it since the release, but I wanted to make sure it really sunk into me before I reviewed it. Now I have listened to this Cd many many times, I've seen them play the whole thing live (which I would highly recommend you do), and I have even memorized most of the lyrics (from so many listens). I feel I am now qualified to review this album.

After my first listen to the Cd, I felt as though it sounded completely different, and at that point of time, I didn't know if that was good or bad. It turns out that it's a very good thing. I'm not saying that anything before this was bad, because I love almost all of it too. I'm saying that it's a good thing that this band is continuing to change, to progress, and each time it gets better and better.

This album took a little bit longer than their other ones to really sink into me. I feel as though it is not as accessible as their others, because it is much darker in many parts, and theres not really too many "poppy" parts that are in songs like "Lazarus" and "Collapse the Light into Earth" from their older albums. This album is one that grows on you. I did love it the first time, but since then it has just gotten better and better. Now I can get really into it, which really helped me enjoy it more when I saw them play it live. When played live, it really comes to life, as you are filled with the sounds and emotions in these songs.

Any weak points? Well I would say the weakest tracks are the first and last ones, but they are by no means weak at all. In fact, the song "Fear of a Blank Planet" is even better than the version shown in the music video for it. It has an amazing ending section and I just melt when I hear it. Strong points? All of it, but more specifically "Anesthetize" (especially live) and "Sentimental". Everything here is amazing though.

If you heard this Cd one time and didn't think it was for you, go back to it and listen to it again. There really is a lot of amazing stuff coming out of the head of Steve Wilson, and it deserves to be appreciated.

>5 Stars for Fear of a Blank Planet. Masterpiece.<