Elfonia - This Sonic Landscape  CD (album) cover

THIS SONIC LANDSCAPE

Elfonia

Prog Folk

Mellotron Storm
3 stars I wanted to check out this band after enjoying Marcela's vocals so much on the debut release of STREAM OF PASSION. Of course that band is a lot heavier than ELFONIA, being as they are a Prog-Metal band.

The highlight for me on this album is the 4 part song called "Gigantes" that offers up some spacey soundscapes with some terrific drumming and angelic vocals.The odd thing is that the album starts with the song "IV" which is the final part of "Gigantes" epic. The other three parts are the final three songs on the record, go figure. "IV" is perhaps the most eerie and atmospheric of the four parts. Some good vocal melodies as well. "Maquina" contrasts the heavy, bombastic sections with the mellow vocal passages. "Soundscapes" has English lyrics as well as some pastoral sections.

"Desaciertos" is all about the vocals that are accompanied with piano.Violin to close it. Good song. "...De Los Libros Del Tiempo" has some good throbbing bass lines and a tasteful guitar solo. Another highlight. "Camaleon" makes it three great tunes in a row. This is the heaviest tune with a guest guitar solo from Arjen Lucassen. And he doesn't disappoint. More good bass and drum work. "Letargo" is an instrumental with a lot of keys. "Manana" is almost funky, while "Traveling" is a song that is sung in English. I detect some jazz influences in this one and it's not the first song that I have felt this.

Although a very good release I didn't like it enough to give it 4 stars. I felt something was missing (probably more to do with me then the band) perhaps due to the fact this has a folk flavour to it.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |