The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute CD (album) cover

FRANCES THE MUTE

The Mars Volta

Kid.A
2 stars A dissapointing follow up....

I love De-Loused in the Comatorium. Its tight, playful, powerful and a fun listen. Frances The Mute feels like a long jam session. When I heard the single The Widow I was happy. When I heard the rest of the album I was dissapointed of the result.

The album opens with "Cygnus... Vismund Cygnus". The track starts of with a gentle acoustic interlude thats followed by guitar riffs, complete with screaming vocals and whistles. Quite enjoyable listen really. The album moves over the the albums best track "The Widow", a haunting track sung mostly in spanish

"L'via L'viaquez" is a uneven track that have some nice guitar solos and riffs, but it all seems to unfocused. The riffs are repeated to often. The track is to long. This is where the problems of this album starts.

"Miranda that Ghost just isn't holy any more." is where this album goes downhill. The track is mostly sound effects thats there to create some kind of ambient feeling. This track is just as windy as its name.

"Cassandra Gemini" is a whopping 30+ min track that really kills any enjoyment out of this album. The best parts of this song is used for sparse sounds, out of place breakdowns and no real structure what so ever. As i mentioned in the beginning, its all just a spaced out jam session.

The first part of the album is good and when I listen to this album I listen to the first 3 tracks and then turn it off. If you dont have any Mars Volta album, but are interested in checking them out, get their debut De-Loused in the Comatorium, its so much better.

This gets a strong 2/5 stars from me, the albums first part saves it from total distaster.With a little more focus on the song structures this album could have been close to a masterpiece. I hope they get back into shape.

Kid.A | 2/5 |