Gentle Giant - Octopus CD (album) cover

OCTOPUS

Gentle Giant

Marcos
5 stars This album was my first approximation to GG. And it was an enjoyable adventure. Gentle Giant is really an original band. I think this album might be included on symphonic rock. The diversity of sonorous fountains is probably the most distinguishing characteristic. Besides, there are a large symphonic influence in this music. The composers are qualified; the musicians are skilled. So, the result is a refinated rock with many ways, journeys and climaxes.

I have to say I like the contrast between some parts of 'reverence worthy of a British Court' and the rock'n'roll colours in another parts. Always, the melodies are great.

(1) "The adventure of Panurge": beautiful 'counterpoints'. A symphonic rock piece. ****

(2) "Raconteur, Troubador": a strange song. It has many condiments like the complete album.*****

(3) "A cry for everyone": somewhat more 'rocker' than the previous tracks. Nice keyboard's solo. Great coda.***

(4) "Knots": well... what a great voices and xylophone! The strongest part is awesome.*****

(5) "The boys in the band": probably this instrumental is the most symphonic-rock theme of this album. I really like it.****

(6) "Dog's life": music of Renaissance... maybe from a Court... Nice song.****

(7) "Think of me with kindness": I love this ballad. Really, I enjoyed this emotional song every time I've heard it. This is my fav song of this album. This is a simple composition but really inspirated.*****

(8) "River": at first the r'n'r influence appears, but then the song becomes in a complex- harmony song. In the middle part, there is a bluesy part.****

Average Rate: 4.25 stars

I think this album is conceptually original because of the diversity of sounds and sonorities. This condition add to this album. Then I put this album as a masterpiece.

Marcos | 5/5 |