Hidria Spacefolk - Balansia  CD (album) cover

Hidria Spacefolk

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Mellotron Storm
3 stars Maybe it's because I started with "Symbiosis", but "Balansia" just doesn't reach the same heights for me that "Symbiosis" does.This one doesn't seem to have the energy or as much guitar as "Symbiosis" does.

"Kokkola" opens with percussion as the psychedelic guitars come in.This song ends up becoming an uptempo and psychedelic kokkola shake. "Modus Operand Hermetik" is one of my favourites. It opens with guitar as the song builds.The drumming and guitar really stand out on this one.The trumpet is a nice touch as well. "Astroban" is an OZRIC TENTACLES sounding song.The tempos shift so smoothly, as we are treated to an array of instruments including a breif marimba solo.

"Pajas" is another favourite of mine.The synths are fantastic on this one, as we get to ride on some spacey waves before the guitar melodies come in. Nice."Pake Originaux" is an atmospheric tune with some great drumming."Tarapita" doesn't really kick into gear until 5 minutes in when the trip becomes very enjoyable for the final 9 or 10 minutes.

I rated "Symbiosis" at 4.5 stars and this one at 3.5 stars. I really like this band, and highly recommend either one of these excellent records.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |