Gong - Gazeuse CD (album) cover

GAZEUSE

Gong

Canterbury Scene

Slartibartfast
5 stars I first came familiar with this album as a used promotional copy. Ir was named Expresso, but the CD version I picked up was called Gazuese! This Gong lineup is sometimes listed as Pierre Moerlen's Gong. I don't know if there was any friction between Moerlen and Daevid Allen, but it really doesn't matter because both heads made great music.

I still like the Moerlen version better than the Allen one. They are almost two completely different bands. Allen's Gong being more psychedelic and Moerlen's being more Jazzy. If you've had some disappointing jazz/rock fusion this is high caliber. What's really cool about this one is the presence or another Allan, Mr. Holdsworth. He doesn't sing, but is a much better prog guitarist. Holdsworth was party to some great sessions while he was drifting around from band to band to band. And, if you're fan of instrumental prog music, you really need to check out his solo albume.

Slartibartfast | 5/5 |