Spock's Beard - The Light  CD (album) cover

Spock's Beard

4 stars It's over 10 years since I fist heard this album so I suppose I should chuck in my tupennce worth

Light always reminds me of quite early Yes spiced up with a smidgeon of Marillion and gently stirred with a little AOR. Like a lot of concoctions in the kitchen (most of which occur after a night out with your mates in the pub) the result falls into 3 categories:

1 tastes fantastic at the time but oh dear ... next morning the dog puts it's tail between tis legs and backs out of the room keeping eye contact 2 your masterpiece is immediately consigned to the netherworld of the bin while the local take away is called to the rescue 3 somehow, it just works. you can't tell why, and you can;t remember what it was you did, or what you put in.

The light is most defintiely in the third category. The sense of smug self-satisfaction which warms you after listening to the album is priceless.

I like recommending this album to the uninitiated I just wish the band had a better name. "You've got to listen to this album ... The Light" (no rat eating aliens in sight but the band is called Spock's Beard. (or you default to the Evil Dead 3 mumble as you pass over the disc).

A progtastic offering but not essential

obiter | 4/5 |