Jean-Luc Ponty - Mystical Adventures CD (album) cover

Jean-Luc Ponty

4 stars

First of all we really have to appreciate the virtuosity of Jean Luc Ponty. What gives originality to this release (and the others from Jean Luc Ponty) is the usage of the violin on a fusion album. It is simply hard not to remember the specific sound of Ponty's music once you listen to it.

The best song is for sure Mystical Adventures (I enjoy the most first part and the last one) which gives also the name of the album. Is important to mention also the solo guitar from the beginning of the third part which seems to me the only moment when another instrument(other than violin) is in front of the other instruments. What I find somehow uninspired is the rhythm which is somehow too predictable and repetitive in comparison with the violin which is always very adventurous.

We don't have anything really revolutionary (maybe just original) here but just a well played and elegant album.3.75 stars

petrica | 4/5 |