Anekdoten - A Time Of Day CD (album) cover

A TIME OF DAY

Anekdoten

rhandmj
2 stars Great music let down by appalling production.

You've got to wonder about why such a great band would allow their subtle, beautiful music to be ruined by production that compresses the sound to within a whisker of it's life and cranks the volume up so high it pushes the meters to the upper limit.

When I first put this on, I had to leap out of my chair to hit the volume control, it practically ripped my Tannoys apart it's so loud! So heavily compressed there is virtually no dynamic range. In a misguided attempt to be 'heavy', they've greated a sonic sludge that has overblown bass boom and a crushing monochrome wall that is oppresssive instead.

Guys - oppressively loud is NOT heavy. It's destroyed a great album and sucked the life out of the music. Please, don't let the loudness obsessed idiots in record companies talk you into this again. If there IS a next album after fiasco, make it musical, not a sledgehammer.

rhandmj | 2/5 |