Neal Morse - ? CD (album) cover

?

Neal Morse

Marcos
4 stars Well, the songs in this album are somewhat more short than the previous albums. However, "?" is a conceptual album, and it follows a line from the beginning to the ending. The line-up is awesome. Just see it. I love the instrumental parts. But when the voice appear, the work become in a "prog-pop song".

(1) "The temple of the living God": the piano gives us a great beginning with a strong instrumental intro. Then, when the song starts the pop component appears.****

(2) "Another world": this theme follows the first track. The guitar's solo is good. The keyboards do their part.***

(3) "The outsider": the climax increases because of this song. This increase prepares us to the next song.***

(4) "Sweet Elation": well, here the album is stronger. The keyboards are amazing.*****

(5) "In the fire": maybe the best song for me. Exciting, virtuous, emotional. The keyboards 'jam session' is great! The base is nice too. It makes me move. The vocals arrangement also is great.*****

(6) "Solid as the sun": a bit hard song. This song has a good diversity of sounds. The bass solo is incredible... as the sax (or keys?) solo. Great final.*****

(7) "The glory of the Lord": Incredible composition. I like it very much. The choir is amazing. And I like the meters: they aren't common meters.****

(8) "Outside looking in": this is really a pop song. However, the song is nice and it is well placed in this album.***

(9) "12": great... many melodies mix in this song. It's certainly emotional. After that, the strongest part of track is tense like tracks 6 and 7. There is an arabic part which is very nice.*****

(10) "Deliverance": emotional and simple song at beginning. Then some parts of "Sweet Elation" and another songs appear again so the song takes energy... nice track.****

(11) "Inside his presence": the introducting piano is here again. The end is near us. It's evident. This song praises God. Really it's an emotional song.***

(12) "The temple of the living God": the 'grand-finale' for this album, great track. The album finishes as pompous as It started.****

Average Rate: 4 stars

I think this album is really 4-star-album. Always, vocal melodies are too pop in Neal Morse music. However, the music is really good.

Marcos | 4/5 |