Matraz - Gritaré CD (album) cover

5 stars Gritaré made me realize there is good Chilean music. I'm from Chile and I've always looked for foreign bands to fulfill my musical hunger, but this time the answer was nearer than what I imagined: Matraz.

Gritaré is awesome, it has everything Tiempo missed: a professional singer, recording quality, performing cohesion and all the experience of having done a previous album.

This might be tagged as progressive metal, but it's not that simple. There are jazzy parts led by keyboardist Diego Aburto, some neo-prog reminiscences and Marcelo Stuardo, the drumer, even leads to cueca (Chilean national dance) in 'Sangre Derramada' and 'Cóndor'. If you're Chilean, you could even cry. Besides the flawlessness of the musicians, the Spanish lyrics are also magnificent.

They're not the usual cheesy stories of long past love or tales of knights and dragons, they come from the inside of Matraz, explore feelings, emotions, tell about painful passages of Chile's history ('Sangre Derramada') and aren't easy to comprehend. Smart words for smarter music.

This album is an excellent addition to any prog music collection, but if you are a Spanish talking person, it is essential: a masterpiece of progressive music. Love it.

kidofthecentury | 5/5 |