Pat Metheny - Zero Tolerance for Silence CD (album) cover

Pat Metheny

1 stars Good Heavens!

I can't say I like experimental music too much. But, when listening to the likes of Elliott Sharp or Ornette Coleman or George Antheil or Mary Halvorson (God love her) I can objectively recognize and appreciate the merit their innovative effort even without being able to enjoy the music on a purely emotional level.

In other words, to get a one star review from me, you need to really hit my aesthetic taste buds with something really, really foul.

IMO, the Zero Tolerance for Silence is an acoustically offensive waste of 38 minutes. To sum up its essence and contents, it consists of a series of distorted guitar tracks, dubbed over other distorted guitar tracks and over still other ones, for the whole duration of the album. It's a close musical equivalent of randomly shooting a few hundred pain tballs of different colors against a concrete wall and calling the result a mural.

Argonaught | 1/5 |