Frank Zappa - Freak Out! CD (album) cover

Frank Zappa

4 stars When I decided I'd start listening to Frank Zappa, I didn't know where to start. So, I went right from the beginning with Freak Out! It was indeed a unique record to hear. A band that didn't necessarily have the commercial potential to drag listeners in like the Beatles or Rolling Stones, but offered something different and 'not normal': one disc of catchy R&B and psychadelic rock tunes, the other an experiment in creating music. In other words, one of the first concept albums in the US, predating Beach Boys Pet Sounds and Beatles Sgt. Pepper albums.

Hungry Freaks, Daddy Who Are The Brain Police? Go Cry On Somebody Else's Shoulder (a nod to 50's doo-wop music) How Could I Be Such A Fool? Wowie Zowie (a childish tune with a very catchy melody) Trouble Every Day (one of the more topical songs based on the Watts Riots)

The rest are equally good, but make take more than one listen. The last track "The Return Of The Monster Magnet" may turn casual listeners off, as it is a more experimental piece (inspired by composer Edgard Varese). In fact, Zappa himself complained that the song is crap because Verve/MGM didn't let him finish it. Same goes for "Help! I'm A Rock" which is just the members screaming the line and drummer Jim Carl Black speaking in tongues and "It Can't Happen Here" which is an out-of-tune acapella.

The album inspired The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper" later on and Zappa returned the favor with "We're Only In It For The Money".

Now where can I find Suzy Creamcheese...lol!

progwzrd | 4/5 |