Le Orme - Uomo Di Pezza CD (album) cover

Le Orme

Rock Progressivo Italiano

Atkingani
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
5 stars I'll tell you how nice is to listen to an album like that; even nicer when you stayed more than 20 years apart from hearing it. I retook contact with LE ORME's "Uomo Di Pezza" some years ago as part of my progressive re-alignment with the genre I like to death which I neglected for almost a quarter of a century (my fault!). In fact, for those that became distant from prog-rock for a long time I recommend steadily to re-start with a piece like "Uomo Di Pezza".

It's fresh, it's beautiful, it's timeless, it serves for people of all ages. This incomparable output is certainly a natural choice to be placed within the Top 10 Italian prog albums and probably within the Top 25 prog albums ever made - an indelible work. The only point for complaining refers to the short album duration: surely all themes could be explored even more.

The album opens with the sublime 'Una dolcezza nova', a clear example of a true prog-rock song, with its omnipresent keyboards, followed by tough and decisive drum action and complemented by unforgettable poignant vocals. Changes in the signatures are soft and smooth done in a way that no doubt remains about the song's grandiosity.

The short and pleasant 'Gioco di bimba' brings a tasteful folk aroma this time accompanied by catchy flute and guitar soundings. 'La porta chiusa' blends a variety of styles: rock, jazz, fusion, avant-garde; all mixed in a very harmonic manner. Instrumentation is great since the band acts like an ensemble, but the synths decorate positively the melody; middle section solo part is breathtaking - unique and magnificent.

'Breve immagine' shows LE ORME's romantic side with some pop tunes popping here and there and extremely sweet almost cheesy vocals; even so the track is miles above the average and neatly hearable. 'Figure di cartone' is a fine song; the arrangements and voices remind band's early phase back in the 60s and although it seems out-of-place here it works nicely and does an exquisite counterweight for the rest of the album.

'Aspettando l'alba' is another genuine prog-rock tune, compounding rightly within the album's atmosphere - extremely progressive. 'Allenazione' provides the end of this work in a thunderous and electrified mood, where some band's influences are distinctively displayed - the result is almost jaw-breaking.

Running through the lines I wrote it's easy and clear to notice that in my opinion we are facing doubtlessly a masterpiece with its obvious rating: 5 (with honor).

Atkingani | 5/5 |