Alex Argento - EGO CD (album) cover

Alex Argento

5 stars Wow! That's the word that came out of my mouth when I finished listening to this amazing debut album by Italian keyboard wizard Alex Argento. The disc covers it all: prog, fusion, jazz extravaganzas, rock and metal... 1 hour of pure ear candy for us lovers of complex music. The 10 tracks feature the skills of fellow italian players Marco Sfogli (we all know who he is.. James LaBrie..), Fabrizio Leo (a total surprise! absolutely amazing player, i will immediately get his solo cd) on guitars, and Stefano Ruscica on drums (incredible! never heard so many talented players from italy on a single disc), but of course concentrating on Alex's multi-layered, multi-faceted playing. This guy really tops any player i have heard.. in technique and, most of all, in TASTE: there isn't a single note out of place on this cd. Unlike most of his colleagues, he doesn't focus on SHRED or mere technicalities.. he plays with style and total confidence with the instrument. Favorite tunes: "Brainsick", "Time Warning", and of course the more mellow moments - "Embrace to the World" and "Vibrations". BTW i will stop praising, and talk about the only complaint i have about this labum: while the overall sound is excellent, I can't help noticing that drums are kept behind in the mix.. or keyboards are way too ahead! Just my opinion though. Seriously guys, go ahead and buy this fantastic piece of music, you won't be disappointed!
eyes_wide_shut | 5/5 |