Audience - The House on the Hill CD (album) cover

THE HOUSE ON THE HILL

Audience

Mellotron Storm
3 stars I borrowed this cd from my Brother in law, who told me the singer sounds like Axel Rose. I read others who described his vocals as a cross between Axel Rose and Ozzy, so you get the idea.

"Jackdaw" is my favourite song on this record. And the one where Howard's vocals do remind me of the singers mentioned above. Although when he sings "...keep away from my back door". I'm reminded of the singer who died from ALICE IN CHAINS.The sax, piano, clarinet and flute are all well done on this song. Great tune ! "Your'e Not Smiling" is an ok song with classical guitar. "I Had A Dream" is a mellow song with more classical guitar and drums. "Raviole" is a highlight with the intricate guitar melodies throughout and added strings.

"Nancy" is another good one. An uptempo tune with some fantastic sax reminding me a lot of the PSYCHEDELIC FURS. The song becomes more passionate 2 minutes in. "Eye To Eye" is a catchy song with flute leading the way. It's all over this one like a JETHRO TULL tune. "I Put A Spell On You" features vocals that are theatrical at times. More flute and classical guitar. "The House On the Hill" is my second favourite. Lots of tempo and mood shifts. I like the way his vocals quiver as he sings the word "hill". Flute solo 2 minutes in as it gets pastoral for around 4 minutes until we get back to the original melody. Very good song. "Indian Summer" is another good song with some impressive sax.

Overall I found this record had it's highs and lows, a little inconsistant for my tastes. Good album though.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |