Magma - Attahk CD (album) cover

ATTAHK

Magma

Zeuhl

OpethGuitarist
4 stars The funkiest Magma experience.

In this highly psychedelic sounding and driving album, Magma take a sidestep from their typical routine and opt for something a little more spicier, if you will. The advanced jazz routines of Kohntarkosz are replaced with a more song oriented approach, albeit probably to the disdain of many Magma loyalists. Much of the album is up-tempo, relying on intertwining ostinatos, and essentially more normal transitions than would be found on other, superior albums.

This is not to say that Attahk is a poor album by any means. It is just groovier, so take that for what it's worth. An example being the danceable tune of Liriik Necronomicus Kanht, which is highly entertaining, but hardly the same experience felt while listening to the songs from Centigrade.

I came to this album nearly last in my Magma quest, so it's really difficult for me to call this album more "accessible" than earlier albums, as I found it just as challenging and enjoyable as many of their previous albums. The only thing that makes it easier is that the music is broken down, but I would argue that Attahk still makes for an excellent release in the field.

OpethGuitarist | 4/5 |