Focus - Live At The Rainbow CD (album) cover

3 stars This is my first review of the legends Focus though I've heard and liked solo Jan albums. I have to say I was a little less impressed than I expected to be but still rate this as good.

There are some tasty licks throughout but also some sloppy play and a general lack of cohesive play and underdevelopment. Inconsistent is perhaps the most accurate word for this set.

My favorite tracks are probably "Focus III" and "Focus II" that seem to get some energy out of the guys. "Hocus Pocus" is a song I've always had some trouble stomaching, the vocal games lost their novelty for me the second time I heard the song back in the 80s. The seven part track "Eruption" would seem to be a showcase number but never gets off the ground for me. There is some nice guitar work towards the end but nothing important. "Sylvia" is a nice melody but they seem to be just wringing it out by force rather than the more tasteful rendition it deserved.

All in all this is not a bad album but it's not great either. Recommended for Focus fans and guitar aficionados but only mildly.

Finnforest | 3/5 |