Echolyn - Mei CD (album) cover

MEI

Echolyn

Prog Leviathan
4 stars In my opinion, this is Echolyn's best album-- it blends their accessible, energetic and dynamic playing into a more creative package than their other releases, which run on far too long and sound repetitive before one reaches the half-way mark. With "Mei", we're given more variety in song structure, creative use of instruments, and a change in the sound of the normally stagnant vocals.

The arrangements are a good mix of the delicate and rocking, the strings fitting nicely in between the band's excellent playing. Most of all though, I feel like one can pick out what's going on in the layered sound more easily here because we're not being bombarded by a constant assault of changing time signatures and melodies.

"Mei" is an outstanding, symphonic work with lots to enjoy... I just wish the band gave us track-breaks.

Songwriting: 4 Instrumental Performances: 4 Lyrics/Vocals: 3 Style/Emotion/Replay: 3

Prog Leviathan | 4/5 |