Allan Holdsworth - Wardenclyffe Tower CD (album) cover

Allan Holdsworth

2 stars I enjoy Allan Holdsworth's playing, but this album causes me trouble. I find it a little hard to explain, but what bothers me is that it sounds "synthetic" from start to finish. Everything is totally electronic and clean, there are virtually no natural, acoustic sounds to be found. Moreover, every single composition features a solo by Holdsworth himself. Not only are there are no vocals and no proper tunes; there are no solos on acoustic keyboards, wind instruments, violins or similar instruments. I'm sorry, but this sounds like electronic overkill to me.

When Holdsworth is allowed to shine on other people's albums (as with Gong's GAZEUSE or Bill Bruford's FEELS GOOD TO ME), I really love him, and his solos usually reach a proper climax. But on WARDENCLYFFE TOWER, all you get is Holdsworth, Holdsworth and more Holdsworth... I find it suffocating.

I must admit I've got similar problems with Jean-Luc Ponty's albums, and even with Kenso's symphonic prog. Overdoses of synthetic jamming are just not my cup of tea...

fuxi | 2/5 |