Rush - Signals CD (album) cover

SIGNALS

Rush

Finnforest
3 stars "conform or be cast out." True then, true now.

A pivotal album for Rush. Many fans consider this the beginning of the next exciting chapter of the band while others consider it effectively the end of their favorite rock band. While I can understand the frustration of the latter group it is my opinion that Signals is mostly an enjoyable success.

"Subdivisions" is a very special song to my heart. I get chills every time I listen to it. My absolute favorite Peart lyrics are here as he captures the complete isolation, loneliness, fear, and shame that some shunned young people feel at that age. I remember those years in the burbs well and understand the feelings they wrote about. And beyond the lyrics are the dark and foreboding mood that the keys create for me, like dark clouds on the horizon.

"Losing It" is the other standout track and one of Rush's most heart-wrenching emotional songs. Ben Minks electric violin fits the piece perfectly. The music is so wistful and underscores more of Neil's perfect lyrics, especially the end about ones dreams. Alex lets rip an imaginative solo before they sadly choose to let this great song fade out. They should have expanded this one a bit.

While clearly a success I don't believe that Signals is quite as good as the four albums that precede it and could not call it essential except to Rush fans. I also see it as quite a drop in quality from Moving Pictures (except for the tracks mentioned above) and thus the 3 star rating.

Finnforest | 3/5 |