Guapo - Black Oni CD (album) cover

BLACK ONI

Guapo

RIO/Avant-Prog

Arsillus
4 stars I've made blind purchases in the past and was usually let down by them (see: "Todd Rundgren's Utopia" and Dredg's "Catch Without Arms") but I decided to try my luck (or lack thereof) again with Guapo's "Black Oni". I was very surprised, to say the least. They really remind me of King Crimson without actually sounding like them. But deep inside lies a dark and brooding conglomeration of rock, fusion and avant-garde. The album is chilly, eerie and bleak with haunting melodies between the bursts of demonic energy. The band throws in all sorts of stuff from electronics to harmoniums in order to create their frightful dream. The album is one long piece and to get the full effect it must be listened to from beginning to end. Everything is constructed very well, despite the frantic and seemingly haphazard nature of the music. It's also very dynamic, ranging from discomfortingly loud and powerful to very quiet and soft ambient noise.

The band's performance is really great here. They've got some amazing chops (and guts) to pull off this type of stuff so well. "Black Oni" is not for the faint of heart or the chronically depressed. Tread with caution but don't be put off by the almost directionless nature of the music. Fans of avant-garde experimental rock be sure to check this out.

Standout songs: "III" is particularly enjoyable

Arsillus | 4/5 |