Tony Williams Lifetime - Believe It CD (album) cover

Tony Williams Lifetime

5 stars Thanks to whoever helped get this wonderful Fusion album listed on these archives. If I was to have to pick THE most important jazz/rock record (beyond Bitches Brew) this would be it. There is no filler here. Yes it's Tony's album I suppose, but the real force and talent on this album is Mr Holdsworth. His guitar work is the standout here, and it certainly is the record that, even today, gets the most plays on my old turntable. There are no special effects in evidence on this release, the playing is straight ahead and honest as it plys the virgin waters of fusion's earliest days. The record cover's simplicity belies the fantastically intricate tunes inside, where you find the roots of heavy metal jazz and progressive instrumental rock. These four virtuoso musicians collaborate to create a classic piece of vinyl.

An artist friend of mine worked on a single canvas for about three weeks just replaying Fred over and over again. It's a very cool painting now, and my buddy Bill still likes the track too! You better Believe it!

vingaton | 5/5 |