Ayreon - Into The Electric Castle CD (album) cover

INTO THE ELECTRIC CASTLE

Ayreon

scarista
4 stars Every once in a while, you buy an album for reasons that do not stand up to close examination. I've read a lot about how good this album is and had heard a couple of samples from it. However, I decided to take the plunge and buy it because Fish is one of the vocalists on it (I've been a fan of his since 1983) and because the cover looked cool on the Ayreon web site. I've bought many other albums for similar reasons and so far each album I've bought on such whims has turned out to be a gem. Including this one.

The story is a bit cliched but so what. The music is amazing, the selection of vocalists outstanding, and the overall impact is spell-binding. Other reviewers have done track by track reviews of this and I pretty much agree with what they've said. My particular favourite tracks are Isis And Osiris, The Decision Tree, Across The Rainbow Bridge, and The Castle Hall. These ones edge slightly ahead of all the others but not by much because this album is so well put together and varied enough in style to keep you interested throughout a rather intense 100 minutes.

I am impressed by what Mr. Lucassen has achieved and I think that most prog-heads would share my opinion. "Most" means it won't appeal to all so for me it fails to reach the Essential peak though I would give it 4.5 stars if that was possible. It is an excellent album though and I recommend it as a very worthwhile purchase. Cheers.

scarista | 4/5 |