Pat Metheny - Question and Answer (w/ Dave Holland & Roy Haynes) CD (album) cover

QUESTION AND ANSWER (W/ DAVE HOLLAND & ROY HAYNES)

Pat Metheny

Marcos
3 stars Question and Answer... that is the question

First Review of this album 'Question and Answer' isn't a prog-rock album. It isn't a rock album either. 'This is Jazz'. Just Jazz. Modern Jazz. Guitar, double-bass and drums. The guitar is a clean guitar (probably, a Gibson); sometimes with a reverb or a smooth delay. The drum set also is common: a groove bass drum, a brilliant ride, and a snare, a hi-hat and tom-toms.

I think, the engineer 'pushed the red button' and then the guys started to play the themes. Simple. This is a common way used by jazz musicians when they record their albums. I have to mention there are fast themes like "Solar", "H&H", "Three flights up", etc. where I could appreciate the skills (virtuosity) of musicians; and there are some ballads too, where I enjoyed the "chord-melodies" played by Pat, which are really emotional and inspirated.

This is a great album, but here at 'ProgArchives' I have to give it 3 stars ("good, but non-essential")

Marcos | 3/5 |