Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica CD (album) cover

TROUT MASK REPLICA

Captain Beefheart

RIO/Avant-Prog

Slartibartfast
2 stars Warning this album may mess with your head until you bleed out the ears. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised by all the positive reviews here. I have a taste for weirdness in progressive music, but this one has never clicked with me.

It's been in CD collection amongst the first 200 titles I added and is probably the main reason I haven't explored the Captain's albums beyond Doc At The Radar Station and his appearance on Zappa's Bongo Fury. This means it's been in my collection for about 20 years and I dread every time it comes up in rotation and I am relieved when the end of the album comes. It had a good reputation and Zappa produced it, but it's like Beefheart got a bit too much rope and hanged himself.

I did get brave enough to try out another one, Safe As Milk, and I'd recommend it or Doc as a starting place to explore the weird guy's music. This one just barely rounds up to a two.

Slartibartfast | 2/5 |