Ayreon - The Universal Migrator part two: Flight Of The Migrator CD (album) cover

THE UNIVERSAL MIGRATOR PART TWO: FLIGHT OF THE MIGRATOR

Ayreon

Equality 7-2521
1 stars If you were to assemble a team of the best linguists in the world and instruct them to go through a children's book, having them replace each word they come across with the most complicated, obscure, esoteric synonym they can think of, the end result would be pretty stunning. It would be immensely complicated and appear to be an intricate work of literature. However, despite all the smoke and mirrors and pretty effects, it would still have no substance. That's how I think of Flight Of The Migrator. Arjen assembles the best musicians one could find. They certainly pull out all the tricks of the trade, all the technical mastery, but I see no substance. Everything I hate about prog-metal is put on display here, and nothing I like of it can be found. I can honestly say I find no melody, no hook, no moment that I can enjoy.

From the moment I heard this album I've shared the same sentiment. I've tried many times to find what other reviewers have, but to no avail. I can't even foresee fans of Ayreon in love with albums like The Electric Castle and The Human Equation liking this. The composition, sensibility, and subtlety that Arjen exhibits on those albums is completely absent. Only the pyrotechnics remain and they're alone and amplified one thousand fold. I hate to give any album one star, but I see no redeeming qualities to allow me the luxury of granting two.

Equality 7-2521 | 1/5 |