Amaran's Plight - Voice In The Light CD (album) cover

VOICE IN THE LIGHT

Amaran's Plight

catsclaw
5 stars This is my first review, though I have been a lurker here for quite some time.

I will start by saying that this is my favorite release in 2007 so far. I am a huge fan of symphonic, prog metal, power prog (or whatever you call the crossover between the two), and neo-prog.This album showcases the talents of musicians from different parts of these genres and they really shine together.

I am a big Spock's Beard fan, especially the Neal Morse days, and Nick D. is one of my favorite drummers (along with Peart and Portnoy) because of his diverse talents. When I heard about this supergroup from a Progrock Records email, I was intrigued because of Nick's involvement but I didn't have any expectations.

Wow.... was I impressed.

The album has a strong story, soaring melodies, wailing guitar, vocal harmonies, hard, soft, and everything in between. DC Coopers voice has never sounded better, the fretwork of Gary Wehrkamp is perfect for the mood created by the music, and the rhythm section is tighter than a mosquito's a**. I won't do a song-by-song analysis of this one, others here are more qualified, but I give this a 5-star rating (and this is only because it tops my 2007 list).

I think it's time for me to start reviewing my vast prog collection online and stop lurking.... This album just MADE me want to review it.

catsclaw | 5/5 |