Maserati - Inventions For The New Season CD (album) cover

Post Rock/Math rock

4 stars My introduction to this group was a sampler CD that came with Explosions in the Sky's 2007 release. Maserati hasn't been terribly prolific since their founding in 2000, so I was rather annoyed that the album the song was from hadn't even been released yet, but I was really glad when it finally came out. It was worth the wait.

As I am just starting to get my head around the post-rock thing, I suppose that term describes this music the best. The album cover art probably describes the music better than I can in words. Musically I guess you can make comparisons to '70's Tangerine Dream stuff with guitars instead of keyboards, a little Pink Floydian too, a more guitar oriented Djam Karet, arrgh words really don't work to describe this music. It's just excellent guitar oriented progressive instrumental music.

At the risk of becoming hooked yourself, you can explore the band's website for samples. Fans of Explosions in the Sky should definitely check these guys out.

Slartibartfast | 4/5 |