Symphony X - Paradise Lost CD (album) cover

PARADISE LOST

Symphony X

scarista
4 stars I think that this is a tremendous album. The music is excellent and played by a quintet that is on top form. The mix of moods captures the underlying story very well and helps the cascade of sound to scoop you up and sweep you along.

I can't single out any tracks for particular praise as all of them are so good - there is no filler in evidence at all. In fact, this album is so strong that it blows DT's Systematic Chaos out of the water (even though it is a good, if predictable, release). I wonder if this year will see a stronger release in this genre? I suspect not.

If you're open-minded about your prog music then this one is a must. It is very heavy though so if you're put off by some harsh vocals and occasionally thrashy riffs it is probably not for you. Well worth the price of admission and deserving of four stars!

scarista | 4/5 |