Le Orme - Felona E Sorona CD (album) cover

FELONA E SORONA

Le Orme

Rock Progressivo Italiano

Shakespeare
3 stars Ranging from very symphonic and beautiful and passive, to somewhat aggressive, though still gentle in its own way: this tiny, near-EP length classic of the genre may leave something to be wanted. If you removed Cinema Show, and Firth of Fifth from Genesis' Selling England (released the same year), then they would be about the same length. The concept, which has been described in detail by many (and you need only to scroll up to read them), is in (very) short the story of two people from two contrasting worlds. The presence of piano, keyboards, synthesizers is very strong, and it is the main tool used to portray the many beautiful melodies. Bass playing, vocals and drumming are not at all in the background, either.

Le Orme are known to abruptly change from "aggressive" (but not really aggressive) symphonic rockers to the passive acoustic pieces, but on this release, things are a bit smoother, and there are actually less acoustic pieces (frankly, I don't mind). It's atmospheric, at times, musically and - if you understand Italian, or have acquired a translation - lyrically as well.

It unquestionably lacks a spice, and it isn't stimulating at all. It's not overly intriguing, and there's very little musical storyline. By that, I mean that the tension doesn't rise, there's not dynamics (with the exception of the very end, which is rather climatic). Production, as well, is only halfway decent. Though the melodies are always beautiful, there's something - something - missing. I find myself unable to hand it a four star review, simply because I am not struck by this album, I am not moved at all. Despite the it factor, it is a very entertaining album.

Shakespeare | 3/5 |