Iron Maiden - No Prayer For The Dying CD (album) cover

NO PRAYER FOR THE DYING

Iron Maiden

JD-Buckeye
3 stars Not a very well received Iron Maiden album, but I never really had much of an issue with it. Many people like Fear of the Dark better(possibly because it's more polished), but I think the worst songs on No Prayer are a lot better than the worst songs on Fear of the Dark. The production on this album is stripped down but it is still Martin Birch at the helm and it sounds good and it is wonderful to jam along with on guitar.

There are a few weak tracks on here such as Fates Warning, but I overall like everything on this album. Hooks in You is just sick and twisted(read the lyrics) and Bring Your Daughter is also very dark and grimy. And I f#ckin' love it.

Holy Smoke has some of the most kick-a#s sing-along verses Bruce has ever written and while it may seem a little jolly, it still rocks out. The breakdown riffs before and after the solos in Tailgunner are phenomenal. What can I say, I like this albums back to basics nature and to be honest even though the last 3 Maiden albums have been very good, Iron Maiden hasn't sounded the same since Martin Birch retired and I want him to come back for one more. Kevin Shirly just isn't cuttin' the mustard and I think Harris is puttin' his hands on the mixing board too much.

Anyway, I like this album and I think it is better than FOTD, X-Factor, V-11, and after that it's hard for me to say. It's hard to compare it to BNW, DOD, or AMOLAD so I won't go there.

JD-Buckeye | 3/5 |