Rush - Hemispheres CD (album) cover

HEMISPHERES

Rush

SoundsofSeasons
4 stars Back to the black hole of Cygnus X-1

You know what they say, the sequel is almost never better than the original. Thats exactly how I feel about Cygnus X-1 Book 2, it left me luke warm. It's not that it's bad, but it's not great either. The song starts off fine, but somewhere toward the middle of the song it really breaks down and loses its drive and then a lack-luster ending. Not what a wanted, but what can you do. Circumstances is an average rush song, not much to say there. The trees is a great Rush rocker, that talks of the differences between the US and Canada. But, it's La Villa Strangiatto that really takes this album to the next level, it is to me (and most people) considered Rush's greatest best intrumental. Neil Peart's drumming, and Geddy's bass playing are at their absolute best in this song.

Although the Cygnus sequel left a bad taste in my mouth, it's worth knowing how the Cygnus epic ends after listening to A Farewell To Kings (which by the way is a masterpiece unlike this one). A solid 4 stars, excellent, but only the final track is a masterpiece.

SoundsofSeasons | 4/5 |