Clevis - Subliminal CD (album) cover

4 stars This is a new band that came to the music scene not too long ago. The idea of a duo is a very interesting idea, even more so since it is bass and drums only. This idea appeals to me not only as a bassist but as music listener. The former is obvious because I am a bassist and there is very superb bass playing on this album. The latter is not so obvious because I could not think of a way to make the whole band just the rhythm section. But in these 14 short minutes I learned that this is possible. Clevis does a very good job of keeping a balance of rhythm and melody. This EP contains 14 minutes of crazy rock music that is less groove orientated but heads in a math-rock direction. To me this is much like Hella but a bassist instead of a guitarist (though in the last song you could have fooled me).I would recommend this album to almost anyone. 4/5 stars.
progismylife | 4/5 |