Rush - Hemispheres CD (album) cover

Andrea Cortese
3 stars This is a very good record but not a real favourite of mine. That's because the whole first side seems somehow pointless. Ambitious and excellently performed, I admit it. The main section is really exciting but repeated over and over. I presume the material wasn't enought to make an extended track of over 18,00 minutes. Very good, nothing to say. Not the masterpiece that many said, though.

I rather prefer the second side, especially for the fantastic instrumental closer "La Villa Strangiato" which is the real classic here with its memorable flamenco-like acoustic guitar introduction. Great work on guitar and many bass's wonderful performances. 4.5 stars from me on this one. Fantastic also the darker middle part with atmospheric keyboards and then explosive bass-drums-guitar fast interplay.

Other short tracks on side b deserve a special mention: "Circumstances" with some extended vocals by Geddy Lee and the more common "The Trees".

Very good (3.5).

But I prefer Moving Pictures. Sorry Raffa, I know the risk of such an opinion ;o)

Andrea Cortese | 3/5 |